Ever thought about what it would be like to work as an editor for Quilters Newsletter? Well, now just might be your chance! QN, the quilting industry’s longest-standing magazine, is seeking a full-time associate editor to work with us in our office in Golden, Colorado. If you have a passion for quilts and for writing and editing, we want to hear from you.
The ideal candidate for the position of associate editor will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, editing skills, and intermediate to advanced quiltmaking and pattern-drafting skills. This position requires a positive attitude and the ability to produce high-quality work while meeting strict deadlines. The general editor will work closely with both the editorial team and the art team to ensure that every issue of Quilters Newsletter exceeds readers’ expectations.
- Research, develop, write, edit, and proofread with accuracy all assigned features and patterns for QN, meeting all deadlines.
- Work with authors/contributors to assure that submitted material remains accurate, clear, and true-to-voice throughout the editing and layout process.
- Analyze finished quilts, determine yardage requirements, and write instructions for quilt patterns.
- Use the Web, email, printed materials, and interviews to research and check facts.
- Initiate new content by providing ideas for articles, patterns, and Web-based items.
- Thoughtfully and accurately edit and proofread copy written by contributors and other staff members.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Perform clerical duties as needed and maintain accurate records, database entries, and contracts.
- Represent QN by traveling to trade and quilt shows to establish relationships with readers, contributors, and advertisers.
- Represent QN on the Web by engaging with readers through various social media outlets and contribute regularly to the QN editors’ blog.
- Resolve customer service inquiries related to assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- Editing experience
- Intermediate to advanced quiltmaking and pattern-drafting skills
- Math proficiency
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other basic computer applications
- Proficiency in the online environment, including social networking
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Ability to adapt to changes in priorities, workload, and workflow
- Ability to exercise good judgment and to solve problems creatively
To apply, send a resume and a letter of interest BY MONDAY, JULY 5, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Write “Associate Editor” in the subject line.