My Quilting Addiction Explained

I recently stumbled across a wonderful scientific study that explains my quilting addiction. I know that the first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem, but I was so relieved to find out it’s not really my fault! In light of these findings I realize that I had little hope of resisting at all. Since the study is not new–and we should always be referencing the most up-to-date information–I call for more research to be done! I have reprinted the article below, with appropriate credit listed at the bottom.

Scientific Study Reveals Hypnotizing Effect

A recent study has indicated that fabric gives off certain Pheromones, that actually hypnotize women and causes them to purchase ungodly amounts.

When stored in large quantities in enclosed spaces, the pheromones (in the fabric) cause memory loss and induce the nesting syndrome (similar to the one squirrels have before the onset of winter, i.e. storing food), thereby perpetuating their species of fabric, and not having a population loss due to their kind being cut up into pieces and mixed with others. Sound tests have also revealed that these fabrics emit very high-pitched sounds, heard only by a select few breed of women known as Quilters. When played backwards on an LP, the sounds are heard as chants, “buy me, cut me, sew me!” In order to overcome the so-called “feeding frenzy effect” that these fabrics induce, one must wear a face mask when entering a storage facility and use ear plugs to avoid being pulled into their grip. (One must laugh, however, at the sight of customers in a fabric store, with WW2 army gas masks and headphones!).

Studies have also indicated that aliens do inhabit the earth, helping to spread the effect that these fabrics have on the human population. They are called FABRIC STORE CLERKS. It’s also been my experience that these same pheromones cause a pathological need to secret these fabric purchases away when taken home (or at least blend them into the existing stash), and when asked by a significant other if the fabric is new, the reply is always…”I’ve had it for a while.”

(Copyright, Kathy Smith Harris, 1997. Originally published in August 1997 in the Western North Carolina Quilters Guild Newsletter)

Found online at: http://qcn.tripod.com/humor.htm

About Joli Hines Sayasane

I am an editor at Quilters Newsletter. I make both traditional and art quilts. When not making quilts, or writing about them, I enjoy spending time with my husband and playing with my dogs.
This entry was posted in Joli Hines Sayasane and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to My Quilting Addiction Explained

1. Centella Tucker says:

I must be especially susceptible; sometimes the pheromones strike while looking at fabric on the internet!

2. Andrea Robinson says:

The phermones must have the ability to travel through my wireless router because I find myself filling my carts, at online fabric sites, all the time. The only way I can control my impulses to buy is rapidly closing my connection and shutting down my lap top.

3. Joanne Bernardo says:

I have that same problem! I get completely mesmerized by pages and pages of fabric swatches, to me it’s like looking at “art”.

4. Chris Boylen says:

This article fits me to a “T”. I am currently trying to deplete my purple/pink stash with a “cock-eyed log cabin rowhouse” top. (Surely no one has published a pattern like this). I have got to make room for some of the beautiful new fabrics out this year!

5. Joann Birmingham says:

Fabric, I admit, I am addicted to the acquisition and destruction and reconstruction into quilts. There is something soul satisfying about the hand of great quality fabric. I have so many projects in the works and so many more planned, I won’t have time to die cause my quilts await to be born! It is a process and I love the hunt for the perfect piece. Onward sisters to the quilt shops and supporting our local economy.

6. Joan Martin says:

So now I know the name of the strange effect fabric has on me whenever I visit my local quilting shop! I love it! I’m a firm believer in supporting local businesses in my community, and am so thankful that Quilters Corner is close by! Stitch on ladies!

7. At least once a year, they will require pruning if you want your area
    to look its best. Hang them from trees, or plant a singe
    pole with multiple extended hangers at various
    heights. To help pay for your project, you should divide it into
    different stages.

my web site … Phoenix Landscaping (http://www.youtube.com)