Q: What’s in Quilters Newsletter’s February/March issue?

A: A lot of things we think you’ll love!

QNMP 120300 COVER 788x1024 Q: Whats in Quilters Newsletters February/March issue?

The February/March 2012 issue of Quilters Newsletter is already arriving at the homes of subscribers and will be on newsstands next week. The stunning quilt on the cover is Star Berries, 85″ x 85″, designed and made by Gail Stepanek and Ronda K. Beyer.

As for what’s inside the issue, we thought we’d let our Table of Contents do the talking.

QNMP 120300 TOC p42 Q: Whats in Quilters Newsletters February/March issue?

Features include:

• International Art Quilters Share Their Work and Wisdom — Eight art quilters from around the world showcase their quilts and share advice. QNMP 120300 Bayeaux 300x200 Q: Whats in Quilters Newsletters February/March issue?
  • Re-creating the Bayeux Tapestry — Get a sneak peek at Pam Holland’s interpretation of an 11th century masterpiece.
  • What’s in a Name? — Explore how signature quilts mark significant life events, chronicle family genealogies and honor people.
  • 1930s Governors Quilt — See how one Kansas woman captured a piece of history in cloth and thread.
  • Little Women Inspires Japanese Designer — Learn how images from a popular U.S. children’s book and a Japanese color palette come together in a fabric collection by Yoko Uematsu.
  • Inside Taupe with Reiko Kato — Discover taupe as a rainbow of colors.

QNMP 120300 TOC p5 Q: Whats in Quilters Newsletters February/March issue?

Patterns and techniques include:

• Easy Lesson: Dimensional Daffodils — Seven quick steps is all it takes to create this cheery spring flower. Learn how to make this embellishment and then check out the full pattern for the 50″ x 50″ quilt A Gathering of Blossoms, one of this month’s free web patterns.
  • Quiltmaker’s Workshop — You’re going to love whipping up bright, happy wall hangings with Rose Legge’s whimsical and easy printing technique. Free full-sized patterns are available on our website.
  • Little Women pattern — The story behind the fabric in this 54″ x 72″ quilt suggested its oversized log-cabin design and center applique.
  • Kite Flying in Winter pattern — Sunbonnet Sue bundles up in Japanese taupes and yarn dyes in this delightful 12-1/2″ x 10″ rendition of a quilting classic.
  • A Good Time Was Had by All pattern — This easy-to-piece, on-point 44″ x 44″ signature quilt is an ideal project for quilt guilds, quilting bees and quilt retreats.QNMP 120300 Rose de 300x200 Q: Whats in Quilters Newsletters February/March issue?
  • Rose de Provence pattern — Foundation piecing, curved piecing, straight-line piecing — this pretty-in-pink 94″ x 94″ quilt has it all.

And of course, the rest of the issue includes our regular departments, like 300 Words about Quilting, a profile of Free Motion Quilting Project creator Leah Day, a new column by Pam Rocco, Staff Picks and Quilting Bee.

We’d love to hear what you think about the issue. Buy it on newsstands or from www.QuiltandSewShop.com starting January 17!

About Mary Kate Karr-Petras

Mary Kate is an associate editor at Quilters Newsletter.
This entry was posted in Mary Kate Karr-Petras and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Q: What’s in Quilters Newsletter’s February/March issue?

1. Bernice Hatch says:

I used to faithfully get and save Quilters Newsletter until it turned to the more contemporary quilter. I don’t think you have a balance mix of quilting styles. I would rather have a variety of quilts with patterns rather than a photo gallery of art quilts. I won’t buy your magazine until or if it becomes more balanced.

2. Joni Gage says:

As spoke well by B Hatch, that is basically the same reason I no longer subscribe to the Quilters Newsletter. Yes I like viewing new and different, but there are so many traditional quilts that need to be learned, redone in new spectaculer fabrics and updated for the coming generations…but let us continue to preserve the past.

3. JoAnne T. says:

Thank you for featuring one of my favorite quilters, Leah Day, in your latest issue. Since I found her site I have learned so much about quilting. She is a GEM and a wonderful teacher.

I am happy with your magazine, I do not expect every magazine to be everything to me. It’s too bad the others who commented here do not understand that QNM is not just a quilting pattern magazine, there are lots of those on the market. If there are things in QNM that I don’t care for, I just turn the page! It’s easy enough to do that.

4. Ilene A. says:

So much of what Qnm is all about is all things newsy in the quilt world, as the “newsletter” part of your title suggests. People looking only for patterns would be disappointed, of course. Keep up the good work.

5. Vicky says:

I agree with both sides of the issue as printed above. I can just turn the page if I’m not interested in a specific topic. I love the mix of discussions, researched articles, technique tips and hints, and patterns in several genres, as well as the galleries of quilts. However, if month after month I find myself ignoring every article and every pattern and technique presented, then it is time for me to readjust my quilting budget, which does include enough for magazine subscriptions, but not enough to throw away entire issues month after month.

6. Diane says:

I enjoy Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine- it is one of the few I still purchase. Art quilts or contemporary quilts are quite beautiful, and even though I may never be artistic enough to create one these gems, they are very important to the industry. LQS need to be frequented, so if a different style of quilts/quilting entices more enthusiasts that is a good thing! Personally I love traditional style quilts, but the world is made of many different likes and dislikes, so I say “Keep up the good Work QN- I will still buy the magazine!

7. Kathy says:

Hi. Just wanted to say how I fell in love with Reiko Kato’s work. I immediatley went online to order her book, only to discover it is out of print. I managed to find a “free” download, but I had to navigate away from sites that seemed somewhat unsavory. I’m disappointed to find out it was copy of the book someone had scanned an put on the internet.

8. Bev Gunn says:

I continue to subscribe to QN because they often have lessons for the unusual finishes on quilts, such as the piped binding, catipillar binding and other techniques. I had let my subscription run out and every month at guild someone was talking about a new techique they had seen in QN! I hate to be left out and feel dumb, so I re-upped. Also, it is the magazine with the most intellectual articles to read-more in depth than most. Thanks for challenging my old brain!