One of my favorite elements of Quilters Newsletter magazine is the Design Wall page. It serves as an intro page to our pattern section. I begin my design with a current fabric line from one of the many fabulous collections out there, then select bits and pieces to add interest to the page. Our editors contribute bits also; historical information, interesting quotes and tips to enhance your quilting skills. This page is from our current issue available at www.QuiltandSewShop.com.
I also have a design wall here at work, a 7´ x 4´ cork board that reflects what I am currently working on. This week it holds preliminary designs for the cover of the April/May issue of Quilters Newsletter.
Here are some design tips I always use:
• When you are working on a design put every idea you think of out there; good, bad, whatever. Then analyze, add, combine or eliminate.
• Get some distance from your designs. They look different at 1 foot, 2 feet and 6 feet back.
• If you can look at them the next day, do so. Of course, that’s not always possible, deadlines being ever present in this business.
• Get opinions from others. Everyone see things in a different way. What may seem clear to you might be interpreted differently by someone else.
• Stay loose, have fun with it.
[Please Note: This giveaway has ended, congratulations to Linda Ann, winner of Caroline's Collection!]
Share your design tips or comments with us and we’ll give you a chance to win this bundle of pastel florals from the Elm Creek Quilts: Caroline’s Collection by Jennifer Chiaverini for Red Rooster Fabrics.
Leave your comment before 11:59 p.m. MST on Monday, January 23, 2012. One comment per person, please. This giveaway is open to people who haven’t won anything from Quilters Newsletter in the past 90 days.
Remember, the best way to learn about giveaways and contests is to follow us on Facebook. Good luck!